Welcome to ‘The Gardener's Almanac’ a Website that has been designed and built for both the experienced and inexperienced Gardener alike.
Its main purpose is to give Gardeners ‘Prompts’ and ‘Guidance’ on when, and how to carry out Gardening Tasks throughout the year.
Hence the logo: "The place to find out what to do in the Garden this Week".
The bulk of the information, in particular, the ‘Timings & Durations’ are a summary of data taken from the author’s ‘Diaries’ over a period of 35+ years
During these years he noted down the cultural aspects of his Garden and Allotment experiences in the diaries, then summerised the data to form the core information displayed on this website.
- Enter the site by hovering over the title of any month on the home page, this will display a drop-down menu showing various locations in a typical garden.
- Select the area you desire and this will take you to a programme of Weekly Tasks.
- Alternatively, should you be seeking information for a particular task by name, use the "Alphabetical Table of Contents" on the home page.
- For convenience, links are displayed in blue font.
- To keep information brief a list of Related Links* will often accompany the data, thus saving you the need to search the site for further data that you may need to clarify certain points within the brief.
- To return to the index/s, click on the Home button on the navbar.
- Clicking on Images will enlarge them, or on occasion lead you to a Slide show.
- The author has also produced a 'Gallery' showing pictures of how he developed his Garden and Allotments for the past 35+ years (see here)
- Added to this are photos from Public & Botanical Gardens, and Horticultural Shows he has visited over the years!
*The content of these Related Links are written in general terms, meaning that the instructions might need a little adjustment to suit the particular situation.
Where necessary the photos throughout this website, were edited using Luminar AI Software which you can see here;
Finally, as with much Gardening literature, location can play a large part in the accuracy of the data therein!
To this end, the author has produced this Reference Chart that will allow the reader to adjust the information given in these pages to suit his / her own location.
A few words of advice when using the information on this Website;
"Let Common Sense prevail"
It is not imperative, to carry out any task/s at the times shown in this Almanac simply because it says so.
If the weather or soil conditions are not in a fit state to carry out the task/s stated, then delay the timing until such times as they are.