My Garden & Allotments in February 2013

Like January, February has been a right mixed bag in terms of the weather.

Apparently it has been colder than normal with temperatures being much lower for the time of the year.

They struggled to reach 1°-2°C (34°-37°F) when we could reasonably expect 6°- 8°C (43°- 46°F)

It has also been quite a dry month, with the rainfall being around half the monthly average.

In the second week of the month we had a fair amount of snow, then we had the added chill factor from the 50 mph winds coming in from Siberia making it feel colder still.

These are a few pictures of my garden taken during the month. (click on pictures to enlarge)

Here are a few views from other parts of the garden during the month;

The Shrubbery





Hebe armstrongii




Hebe armstrongii








Jasmine nudiflorum


Camellia buds

Heather bed


Snow scenes

Bits & Pieces

Growing under cover

At this time of the year there is not lot to do in the greenhouse apart from ensuring that seeds on hot bed do not dry out.

During the first week of the month, I took delivery of my seed potatoes so I set them up to 'chit'.

As mentioned elsewhere in a previous blogspot, I took a number of Chrysanthemum cuttings.


Inside Greenhouse




Chitting potatoes


Chrysanthemum cuttings

Some seedlings on the hotbed


Begonia & Impatiens




Mirabilis jalapa


Seeds I purchased from the RHS

Plants hardening off in the coldframes


One of my cold frames


Garlic & Potato Onions


Garlic,Shallots & Potato Onions

A few of our houseplants.


Alcove in Conservatory






My Allotments

Basically all that can be done on the allotments is preparatory and maintainance work such as preparing the greenhouse beds and repairing damage glass in the greenhouses, and harvest any crops as they become ready.

Views across the plots


Looking up Plot 20


Looking up Plot 21


Looking down Plot 21

Some of the crops


Fruit bed




Japanese Onions




Savoys & Br.Sprouts


Daffodils emerging

Soil Preparation in the Greenhouses


12'' x 8' before and after


28' x 8'


8'x 6' Ring Culture


Tunnel beds before and after

As mentioned previously much of the work done on the the allotments this month was maintainance work on two of my greenhouses!

During the high winds last October about 40% of the glass blew out of my 8' x 6' greenhouse so I replaced this.

Once this was completed, I started major refurbishment of my 28' x 8' greenhouse which I estimate to be at least forty years old, as it was becoming rather worse for wear hence the refurbishment!

.............and that concludes my blog for February 2013!

Top of the Page